The Journey to 50 has Begun!
Or at least, I’ve taken the first step! I’ve chosen the race and officially signed up for the Cayuga Trails 50, as of Friday night. Just thinking about finishing this race has me all giddy…and scared, and pumped! I am excited to run in Ithaca, NY because the trails look amazing from the pictures and videos I’ve watched. I’m pretty sure I won’t be able to think about anything else until I cross that finish line.
Reasons I Want 50 Miles
- Because I want to experience the awesomeness and the pain, and overcome it all to cross that finish line.
- Because I am on a journey to see how far my feet can take me and this is the next step!
- Because….it’s an adventure that includes trails, waterfalls, and running!
- Because every time I challenge myself I am growing as a person, not just a runner.
- Because I will get to spend time with a great friend I met during my first 50K! (Shout out to Jen! She totally rocks this running thing and is an inspiration to me. I think we will share many text messages between now and June 3rd.)
Today’s Trail Run
It was so special because my youngest son came along with me. We are going to run a 15K trail race together in a few weeks so this was a good training run for him. We did 7 trail miles together. He did a great job! We had to stop to enjoy the overlook.
Sweet Potato, Black Bean, and Turkey Chili
After 3 more miles running with the dog, and then a mile running laps around the yard with goats, I made this for dinner. Kind of just winged it and it came out pretty good!
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1 medium sweet potato cubed
- 1/2 cup black beans
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2 cup onion
- 1 can green chilis
- 1 can diced tomatoes (mine were flavored with cumin and ancho chili)
- hot sauce (I used green chili hot sauce)
- red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- chili powder to taste
- balsamic vinegar
Basically, brown the meat, add the garlic and onion. Sautee for 5 minutes, then add black beans, sweet potato, green chilis, diced tomatoes and simmer for 15 minutes. Season with red pepper flakes, hot sauce, chili powder, salt and pepper. When sweet potatoes are tender it is done. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar.
My Favorite Snack
I eat healthy, whole foods 90% of the time, but this is one of my favorite salty, not-so-healthy snacks! You can’t go wrong with peach salsa.
All Weekends Should Involve Goats.
There’s nothing better than a blue sky, a beautiful fall afternoon, and chilling in the backyard with your animals. The dog was off exploring, but I kept my eye on these two trouble makers.
What’s in Store for Next Week
Make this next week a great one! I got three good cycling sessions in last week, and two lifting sessions, so I’m hoping to keep that up this week. I’ll be running a 15K race on Saturday so I want to get a decent mid-long run in as well.