It’s been super humid and hot most of this week, to the point where running isn’t fun. It was time to dig deep and just get out there and slog through the miles. I can’t say they were all bad though. I had some good company on a few runs which always makes things more enjoyable!
Dealing with Niggles
I was noticing a twinge of pain in my left knee cap area recently….only a few steps per run so nothing major, but definitely something to nip in the bud. I’ve battled with runner’s knee in the past and don’t want to go back there! So, the focus this week was to take care of that. I had already planned to kick the mileage back down to the twenties for the week. I was aiming for extra rest days and no double digits. Here are the actions I took to help the niggle subside and hopefully not turn into an actual injury:
- Ice the area post run.
- Extra rest days or just cycling days.
- Ibuprofen after the run just to keep inflammation at bay. ( I don’ t like to mask any symptoms with meds before the run or I won’t know how it’s doing and could risk more damage)
- New shoes (This is a BIG one! Really thinking I ran too many miles in the previous ones past their prime which added to the niggles. Plus running a 10 miler on roads in the old ones a few weeks ago was probably not smart either.) Isn’t it funny how loved the ones on the left are? These are the same exact shoe down to the color. One has about 500 miles and the other 0. They felt like heaven!
- Strengthening around the knee with lunges and squats (I have to admit I could be doing these more regularly so this was a wake up call!)
- Less climbs and steep downhill running. This part makes me sad but it had to be done!
Thankfully my last 3 runs have been totally niggle free, but I’ll continue some of the strategies above through this next week to ensure things are back to where they need to be for when my training gets more demanding!
Week #2 Breakdown
Monday: REST (hamstring, quad stretching)
Tuesday: 3 easy miles (stretching + lunges + squats)
Wednesday: 8.5 mile cycle (stretching + lunges + squats + upper body)
Thursday: Gym workout (upper body/ back/core)
Friday: 6 easy trail miles with Eli (incorporated more walking & explored)
Saturday: 8.1 trail miles (Hoka demo day with Appalachian Running Company)
Sunday: 9 Appalachian Trail miles with a Ragnar buddy and a killer gym workout for sweat session #2
Food is Fuel!
I had these romaine boats with roast beef, goat feta, sriracha lemon aioli, radishes, and green onions for lunch and they didn’t disappoint. Bottom one has chipotle mustard instead of aioli because it ran out. Definitely need to make more!
And this low carb/ high protein waffle for breakfast. Made with coconut flour and egg whites, topped with mini semi-sweet choc chips, walnuts, unsweetened coconut flakes, almond butter, and honey. I did not miss the Bisquick waffles I made for the boys at all!
Any tips or strategies you use to handle the niggles when they show up?
Favorite gym workout?
Of everything in the list above from today, my favorite is the medicine ball slam squats. It’s so rewarding to slam something on the ground over and over. Hahaha!